Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Confused and distraught


Again I am raging, I am in such a state by your soul

that everybond you bind, I break, by your soul.

I am like heaven, like the moon, like a candle by your glow;

I am all reason, all love, all soul, by your soul.

My joy is of your doing, my hangover of your thorn;

whatever side you turn your face,

I turn mine, by your soul.

I spoke in error;

it is not surprising to speak in error in this state,

for this moment I cannot tell cup from wine,

by your soul.

I am that madman in bonds who binds the "divs";

I, the mad man,am a Solomon with the "divs",

by your soul.

Whatever form other than love raises up its head from my heart,

forthwith I drive it out of the court of my heart,

by your soul.Come, you who have departed,

for the thing that departscomes back;

neither you are that, by my soul,

nor I am that, by your soul.

Disbeliever, do not conceal disbelief in your soul,

for I will recitethe secret of your destiny, by your soul.

Out of love of Sham-e Tabrizi,

through wakefulness or nightrising,

like a spinning mote I am distraught, by your soul


"Mystical Poems of Rumi 2" A. J. ArberryThe University of Chicago Press, 1991

No comments: