Sunday, October 19, 2008

DESCENT


I made a far journey

Earth's fair cities to view,

but like to love's city

City none I knew
At the first I knew not

That city's worth,

And turned in my folly

A wanderer on earth.
From so sweet a country

I must needs pass,

And like to cattle

Grazed on every grass.
As Moses' people

I would liefer eat

Garlic, than manna

And celestial meat.
What voice in this world

to my ear has come

Save the voice of love

Was a tapped drum.
Yet for that drum-tap

From the world of All

Into this perishing Land I did fall.
That world a lone spirit

Inhabiting.

Like a snake I crept Without foot or wing.
The wine that was laughter

And grace to sip

Like a rose I tasted

Without throat or lip.
'Spirit, go a journey,

'Love's voice said:

'Lo, a home of travail

I have made.'
Much, much I cried:'

I will not go';Yea, and rent my raiment

And made great woe.
Even as now I shrink

To be gone from here,

Even so thence

To part I did fear.
'Spirit, go thy way,

'Love called again,'

And I shall be ever nigh thee

As they neck's vein.'
Much did love enchant me

And made much guile;

Love's guile and enchantment

Capture me the while.
In ignorance and folly

When my wings I spread,

From palace unto prison

I was swiftly sped.
Now I would tell

How thither thou mayst come;

But ah, my pen is broke

And I am dumb.

No comments: